Connect with Me!

Deja Vu | Inside Out by Maria V. Snyder

Thursday, July 27, 2017 Geraldine 0 Comments





The Breakdown


General Info:
     Title: Inside Out
     Author: Maria V. Snyder
     Genre: Dystopia, YA, Science-Fiction
     Publisher: Harlequin
     Publishing Date: April 1st, 2010

Thoughts:
     Excellent:
          - The way it mirrors out society 
          - Mix of genres

    Things that could have been better:
         - Characters were dull and fell into stereotypes and tropes 
         - Plot twists weren't shocking - except for one
         - Forgettable

Rating:  2.5 stars
Goodreads | Amazon |

Initial Thoughts

A friend of mine enthusiastically recommended this to me at the start of 2016! Plus it's Maria V. Snyder - I've read some of her books before, and they haven't been horrible...Finally, that cover just got to me! It's really creative how the title is really meta, in its design, with the word 'inside' being inside the word 'out' 

Keep Your Head Down. Don't Get Noticed. Or Else. 

I'm Trella. I'm a scrub. A nobody. One of thousands who work the lower levels, keeping Inside clean for the Uppers. I've got one friend, do my job and try to avoid the Pop Cops. So what if I occasionally use the pipes to sneak around the Upper levels? The only neck at risk is my own…until I accidentally start a rebellion and become the go-to girl to lead a revolution.




Thoughts

I have a weird feeling that I've actually read this book before, but forgotten completely about it. After I got into the first few pages, everything about it just sounded really familiar. Maybe I've read another book like it before, or maybe I've read it before and just forgotten everything about it. Let me know if you know any books like Inside Out - I'm curious to know which it is! 

Maria V. Snyder's writing here is actually pretty easy to follow. I tried reading the Healer series previously, and whilst the first book was easy to follow, the following books were harder to read and just more disjointed for me. So I was happy to see that this book was fluid and smooth with the writing and managed to hook me in. 

The setting of Inside Out is rather interesting to me. With the division between the 'uppers' and the 'scrubs', the tension between the two classes of society was depicted very well, and it made me think about tensions between races, with how discriminatory and uneducated some of the discourse was. The knowledge that each class had of each other was off-base and based on stereotypes - which I actually enjoyed, because I thought it mirrored our society very well, and made it easier for me to relate to the book.

I found the main character, Trella, to be quite dull honestly. There was nothing really special about her, other than her title as the 'Queen of Pipes', for her constant scuttling about in the pipes Inside. She fell into the trope of being that unique person who is essential for x, y and z to happen, and that trope about being the outcast. Her love interest, Riley, was the same as well, with regards to being boring. With two characters that were about as dull as cardboard, I didn't feel any chemistry between them, not even with their joking around about the stuffed sheep, which felt forced and very lame. 

The plot twist at the end, where Trella's parentage is revealed wasn't much of a surprise to me either - I saw it from a mile away, and when her parentage is revealed, I didn't gasp in shock or particularly care, really. But I did enjoy the plot twist where we find out what Inside and Outside really are, which I didn't see coming. 

Final Thoughts

Inside Out is a good book in terms of writing, but ultimately forgettable with reused tropes and dull characters. I've already started the second book within days of reading this one, and I've already forgotten some of the key characters. Whether it's my bad memory or it's just a forgettable book, I'm giving Inside Out a hard 2.5 stars. Merely passable. 

Rating

This is based off my Goodreads review, which ranks the book by its characters, plot, writing style and entertainment value. 


Thoughts in a Phrase 

Deja vu. 

Keep reading and loving books!
Geraldine


Enjoyed reading this? You should definitely follow me to get more updates! 

You Might Also Like