Connect with Me!

The Yearbook Committee by Sarah Ayoub

Friday, November 11, 2016 Geraldine 0 Comments



The Breakdown


General Info:
     Title: The Yearbook Committee
     Author: Sarah Ayoub
     Genre: Contemporary, YA
     Publisher: HarperCollins Australia
     Publishing Date: March 1st, 2016

Thoughts:
     Excellent:
          - Excellent characterisation and development
          - Plot twist was unexpected but expected at the same time - that beautiful combination was enticing! 

    Things that could have been better:
         - More pages could have been dedicated to the resolution of the climax

Rating: 4 stars
Goodreads | Amazon

Initial Thoughts

Honestly, I picked up this book, only because everyone had been talking about it for OzYA! As an Australian and an avid book lover, I felt duty-bound to read it ASAP, and when I found it in the library...well, one thing led to another. 

Five teenagers. Five lives. One final year.
The school captain: Ryan has it all … or at least he did, until an accident snatched his dreams away. How will he rebuild his life and what does the future hold for him now?
The newcomer: Charlie’s just moved interstate and she’s determined not to fit in. She’s just biding her time until Year 12 is over and she can head back to her real life and her real friends …
The loner: At school, nobody really notices Matty. But at home, Matty is everything. He’s been single-handedly holding things together since his mum’s breakdown, and he’s never felt so alone.
The popular girl: Well, the popular girl’s best friend … cool by association. Tammi’s always bowed to peer pressure, but when the expectations become too much to handle, will she finally stand up for herself?
The politician’s daughter: Gillian’s dad is one of the most recognisable people in the state and she’s learning the hard way that life in the spotlight comes at a very heavy price.
Five unlikely teammates thrust together against their will. Can they find a way to make their final year a memorable one or will their differences tear their world apart?

Characters

What I loved most about The Yearbook Committee was how well-developed the characters were. They each had their own stories, their own personalities, and they were so well fleshed out. Even though I didn't like Charlie, that was just because I just didn't like her, like I would dislike anyone in real life. In fact, that's the entire point - these characters were human. Ayoub got to the heart of what it means to be human, and that is what makes this book so spectacular.

Plot

I really enjoyed the fact that this book had a plot. In a lot of contemporaries, it feels more like a slice of life novel - no real plot, no climax, etc. But right from the start, we know that the goal is to create the yearbook. 
Then there is the ending. The dramatic plot twist was awesome to read - I never saw it coming, yet you could have totally predicted it, with the little tiny breadcrumbs that Ayoub throws our way. 
However, my only complaint would be that the aftermath of the plot twist wasn't dealt with properly. There were only a few pages after the climax, and after such a big plot twist, I thought there would be more pages dedicated to the characters' thoughts, etc. 

Writing Style

Ayoub writes in a clearly, and really articulately. I didn't have to reread anything - everything made sense the first time I read it, even though there were five (that's right, FIVE) viewpoints. I usually hate reading different points of views, because I ALWAYS forget what happened in x, y and z character's plot line...but I don't know, after the first few pages, I eventually got used to it, because of Ayoub's writing. 


Entertainment Value

I really enjoyed reading The Yearbook Committee. Even though it was difficult  for me to get used to the book at first, and I had to slog my way through it - after a couple of pages, I was hooked in, and I couldn't stop. Plus, I couldn't stop thinking about it after I finished reading it, even though a couple of days had passed - blame it on that plot twist and feelings of how unresolved it was! 

Final Thoughts

The Yearbook Committee is a wonderful YA book from Sarah Ayoub, which has a cast of a variety of characters, which are all so relatable and oh so human. Definitely an OzYA novel to read! 

Rating



Thoughts in a Phrase

OzYA Love! 

Keep reading and loving books!
Geraldine



Enjoyed reading this? You should definitely follow me to get more updates! 

You Might Also Like