Connect with Me!

27 Days to Midnight by Kristine Kruppa

Friday, June 24, 2016 Geraldine 0 Comments



The Breakdown


General Info:
     Title: 27 Days to Midnight
     Author: Kristine Kruppa
     Genre: Sci-Fi, Steampunk, YA
     Publisher: Giant Squid Books
     Publishing Date: May 3rd, 2016

Thoughts:
     Excellent:
          -  The concept - so original, I've never read anything like it before 
          - Characters - Dahlia especially stood out to me - I didn't love her, but unique character

    Things that could have been better:

         - Characters - the interactions fell a bit flat to me 

Rating: 3.5 stars
Goodreads | Amazon paperbackAmazon kindle


Initial Thoughts

I decided to hop onto this blog tour after reading the synopsis! It sounded so fresh, so original! Plus that cover...it's gorgeous! 

Everyone in Dahlia's world knows when they're going to die. Except her.

Her father has never shown her the pocket watch counting down the days she has left to live. When he sacrifices himself to save her from her scheduled death, Dahlia abandons her comfortable home and sets off after his murderer to uncover the secrets her father died to protect…and the time research that could bring him back to life.

Then she meets Farren Reed. She should hate him. He’s an enemy soldier, a cowardly deserter, and the most insufferable man Dahlia’s ever met. Still, she needs all the help she can get, and Farren is the only chance she has to find the man who murdered her father. But Farren has only twenty-seven days left on his watch.

In that time, Dahlia must recover her father’s time research, foil a psychotic general’s plot, and learn to survive in a world that will never be the same. But the research holds secrets more dangerous than she had ever imagined. She will have to choose what is most important: revenge, Farren's life, or her own. And time is running out. 

Characters

My first introduction to the characters was pretty awesome. I was hooked to the book because of how interesting the characters were. Although I didn't necessarily like Dahlia from her actions, she was a character that I haven't seen too often in books, so it was refreshing to read such a new character. 
Farren drew me in the same way that Dahlia drew me in. In fact, I think the reason why I found them both so refreshing was just how brash they were. I dunno, but in YA books, I feel like I always read about these people sidestepping and miscommunicating - but Dahlia and Farren were just so blunt - it was such a nice change. 

However, whilst I enjoyed reading and being introduced to them - I didn't quite like reading their interactions. To me, it somehow felt a bit fake, and unrealistic? The romance particularly, didn't draw me in, because it just didn't feel real to me. But then again...who am I to judge, with my measly love experiences? :') 

Plot

The concept would definitely get a "Most Original" award from me! 27 Days to Midnight didn't cling on to many cliches, which (and I feel like I'm repeating myself here) was refreshing. 

Kruppa crafts an interesting mythology, about the watches and how they determine when you die - and I have to say, it was pretty well thought out! 

Writing Style

Kruppa's writing style was a bit hit or miss in some parts of the book for me. At some parts - and I'll highlight the first few pages - she wrote flawlessly, in my opinion. The start hooked me in, and made me keep reading! She was able to suck me into this alternate world, and keep me engaged! 
But at other parts of the book, the writing did seem a bit simplistic to me? You know that adage, "Show, not tell"? Sometimes, it felt like Kruppa was telling, not showing me - and that made it harder for me to enjoy the novel. 
I felt like there was an equal balance of "OOH AMAZING WRITING" and telling going on in the novel - which is why I feel a bit mixed about Kruppa's writing style. 

Entertainment Value

I found 27 Days to Midnight a fairly engaging read. For me though, my interest kept fading in and out - and I feel like this is mostly because of the writing style, which fluctuated a bit, along with my interest. 

Final Thoughts

In the end, I'll give 27 Days to Midnight a 3.5 stars. It was a really good read, with so much originality, and easy to get into - but ultimately, the characters' just didn't do it for me. 
All in all - a refreshing read! Definitely give this one a try if you want to 

Rating


Thoughts in a Phrase 

Much original :)

a Rafflecopter giveaway

About the Author
Kristine Kruppa is a mechanical engineer, writer, and world traveler. Her days are spent
designing cool new car parts, but her evenings are filled with writing and cats. She has traveled solo to seventeen countries on five continents. Her other hobbies include hunting for the perfect cup of coffee, exploring used book stores, and accidentally climbing mountains. To keep up with her adventures, follow Kristine on Twitter @kskruppa.







Keep reading and loving books!
Geraldine


Enjoyed reading this? You should definitely follow me to get more updates! 

You Might Also Like