Connect with Me!

The Bane Chronicles by Cassandra Clare, Maureen Johnson and Sarah Rees Brennan

Friday, May 13, 2016 Geraldine 0 Comments



The Breakdown


General Info:
     Title: The Bane Chronicles 
     Author: Cassandra Clare, Maureen Johnson, Sarah Rees Brennan
     Genre: YA, Fantasy
     Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books
     Publishing Date: November 11th, 2014

Thoughts:
     Excellent:
          - MALEC 
          - All the different characters


    Things that could have been better:
         - I couldn't connect to Magnus as a character - but that's just me as a reader 
         - The pacing was a bit slow at the start of every story - especially so with the first one

Rating: 4 stars
Goodreads | Amazon


Initial Thoughts


Fans of The Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices can get to know warlock Magnus Bane like never before in this collection of New York Times bestselling tales, in print for the first time with an exclusive new story and illustrated material.

This collection of eleven short stories illuminates the life of the enigmatic Magnus Bane, whose alluring personality, flamboyant style, and sharp wit populate the pages of the #1 New York Times bestselling series, The Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices.

Originally released one-by-one as e-only short stories by Cassandra Clare, Maureen Johnson, and Sarah Rees Brennan, this compilation presents all ten together in print for the first time and includes a never-before-seen eleventh tale, as well as new illustrated material.

Before I go any further, I think I need to probably outline the titles of each mini-story - some of them are pretty epic haha xD Anyway - beside them, I'll just put down a rating for what I thought of each of them, as a whole. 
  1. What Really Happened in Peru - 3 stars - Sorry, I just couldn't really connect to the "being in Peru" thing - it didn't appeal to me. 
  2. The Runaway Queen - 3 stars - Plot didn't intrigue me that much because I couldn't sympathise with Marie Antoinette 
  3. Vampires, Scones, and Edmund Herondale - 4 stars - A HERONDALE FALLING IN LOVE, need I say more?
  4. The Midnight Heir - 3.5 stars - I got a bit confused by this one? But more Herondales...so I have to like this one, of course! 
  5. The Rise of the Hotel Dumort - 3.5 stars - I loved the Prohibition feel about this...but everything else, I was eh about. 
  6. Saving Raphael Santiago - 5 stars - THIS WAS SWEET <3 
  7. The Fall of the Hotel Dumort - 4 stars - Plot twists...always make books better! 
  8. What to Buy the Shadowhunter Who Has Everything (And Who You're Not Officially Dating Anyway) - 3 stars - I didn't quite understand the story in the end 
  9. The Last Stand of the New York Institute - 4 stars - I love hearing about the Circle :D 
  10. The Course of True Love (And First Dates) - 5 stars - WARNING: MALEC CUTENESS
  11. The Voicemail of Magnus Bane - 5 stars - SO CUTE. SAD. MADE ME FEEL FEELS 

Characters

The Bane Chronicles had a cacophony of characters - I don't think I could remember them all, ten days from today! Although some were completely boring, and annoyed me to bits (looking at you Marie Antoinette), most of them were really engaging (ALEC. ALEC. ALEC). Magnus was always a delight to read about - good thing, because he's pretty much the one constant in all these stories - after all, the compilation is named after him! :D The only thing is - I couldn't connect to him as a character. But I'm fine with that. Because that's just who I am as a reader - I'm more quiet, and I can't really believe there would be anyone as flamboyant as Magnus is! 
I also really enjoyed reading about the other warlocks - it was great how all the authors embedded such colourful and distinct personalities with Catarina Loss and Ragnor Fell. I loved reading about them - and now I feel Ragnor's absence in The Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices a little more keener :( 
Honorable mention to Tessa and the Herondale boys...just because I will always, forever and ever love them. So yeah, I'm glad they were in this short story compilation!~ 

Plot

The plots were really good, on the whole. Each one was set in a different time period, and with each different time period, there were different problems brought about, which were very time-period specific. It made for such an interesting read to be honest, because I never knew what was truly going to come up! :D 

Writing Style

I couldn't really distinguish between the writing styles of all three authors - so that was really good. It made the book really cohesive and enjoyable to read!
I also especially loved how this book was written in a chronological order - all the series were pretty much set in order, from the 1700s to now. This was awesome, because the authors managed to put hints of the previous story into the current story, and just make it even more richer! 
Finally, not only were there hints of previous stories in this book, there were also references to the book series'! We had Tessa, Will and Jem reappear in The Midnight Heir, mentions of Camille Belcourt scattered throughout, an entire story dedicated to Raphael...it was great learning more about the characters we were familiar with in The Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices. 

Final Thoughts

This book is awesome for anyone who is a fan of any of the Shadowhunter books that Cassandra Clare has written! People who haven't might want to steer clear of this book though - Clare et al. doesn't do much with explaining the universe - so if you haven't read The Mortal Instruments or The Infernal Devices, go read one of them before you attempt this! READ THE INFERNAL DEVICES if you have a choice - I love that series SO MUCH MORE <3 Or else...read Lady Midnight, which recently came out~ <3 I've yet to read that book though...I've been putting it off so much! 

Rating

Instead of my usual rating graphic...I just averaged up the scores I gave the individual stories. 
The rating then is...3.9090909090909090909 stars out of 5. Let's just round it up to 4 stars. 

Thoughts in a Phrase 

I WANT MORE MAGNUS BANE. 

Keep reading and loving books!
Geraldine



Enjoyed reading this? You should definitely follow me to get more updates! 

You Might Also Like