Connect with Me!

Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon

Wednesday, April 27, 2016 Geraldine 0 Comments



The Breakdown


General Info:
     Title: Everything, Everything
     Author: Nicola Yoon
     Genre: YA, Contemporary
     Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
     Publishing Date: September 1st, 2015

Thoughts:
     Excellent:
          - Quotes - I related so much to them~
          - Oliver, the love interest - not the typical love interest
    Things that could have been better:
         - Maddy, the main character, was bland - hardly ever connected to her 
          - Not much of a plot - more slice of life? 
Rating: 3.5 stars
Goodreads | Amazon

Initial Thoughts

I picked up Everything, Everything, because I found it in the library, and I've seen a lot of book reviews for it! It sounded interesting - as a hopeful doctor, I was intrigued by SCIDs. 

My disease is as rare as it is famous. Basically, I’m allergic to the world. I don’t leave my house, have not left my house in seventeen years. The only people I ever see are my mom and my nurse, Carla.

But then one day, a moving truck arrives next door. I look out my window, and I see him. He’s tall, lean and wearing all black—black T-shirt, black jeans, black sneakers, and a black knit cap that covers his hair completely. He catches me looking and stares at me. I stare right back. His name is Olly.

Maybe we can’t predict the future, but we can predict some things. For example, I am certainly going to fall in love with Olly. It’s almost certainly going to be a disaster.


Characters

I didn't love the main character Maddy at all. She wasn't appealing, I don't know why, but she just didn't resonate with me. She was just...bland. Wait, actually she did elicit irritation from me, like once. Spoiler ahead though, so highlight at your own risk: The one time that she actually gave me an emotional reaction was when she decided to foolishly leave her house, because she didn't want to live cooped up. Even though it did turn out that she didn't have SCIDS, I was appalled at that, just because I believe in the sanctity of human life, and how she was willing to throw that away for love, or to 'truly live'. 
But yeah, Maddy was just bland - no character, no personality to her at all. She seemed to be defined by her illness - that was the only thing special about her. Oh wait, one more thing elicited an emotional response from me - the part in the book that reads as follows: 
Madeleine's Dictionary
prom-ise (prämɘs) n. pl. -es. 
1. The lie you want to keep.
[2015, Whittier] 
-p194
In my experience, this is quite true - so I really connected to Maddy for that one moment. 

Oliver, our love interest, on the other hand, was a guy I could connect to for pretty much most of the book. The things he says, whilst pretentious, are not Augustus Waters level of pretentiousness. They struck a chord within me, because they just work. Like take this for example:
"We're just outputs for a set of inputs....I think there are one or two inputs that matter the most. Figure those out and you've figured out the person." 
-p97
As a huge math nerd, this really interested me a lot! I mean, it makes sense up to a certain point for me - after that, I think that people really can't just be defined by two things, but sTILL, MATH <3 

And of course, there were some sappy scenes in the book. But I dunno, whilst I was rolling my eyes, at the same time, man, Nicola Yoon really manages to encapsulate the feeling of love, not just first love, but romantic love in general really. 

"In my head I know I've been in love before, but it doesn't feel like it. Being in love with you is better than the first time. It feels like the first time and the last time and the only time all at once" 
-p221

Plot

The plot was probably the weakest thing about this book, to be honest. I think, at points, it felt like there was no plot, More like this was a slice of life novel. I mean, there was the underlying mystery of her disease, SCIDs, but that was it. The plot twist was something I kind of saw coming, just because Yoon really did foreshadow it - and I liked that I could see the plot twist coming. Because yeah, Yoon set up the threads for it, and I just feel accomplished that I had an inkling of what might happen.  

Writing Style

The writing style was refreshing to read. As seen in the Characters section above - there were some stellar quotes, which kept me reading! It was also really easy to read, so I just seamlessly breezed through this book (I think it only took me about two hours to read?). Plus, the illustrations were gorgeous, and the way the illustrations were embedded throughout the book really made for such an interactive experience <3 The illustrations were cute and gorgeous, and I really loved looking at them! 


Entertainment Value 

Very entertaining - I felt very tempted to read it throughout my BIOL lecture haha xD But at the same time, I couldn't help but feel a bit put off by Maddy's character - she just wasn't appealing, and so I wanted to put the book down a couple of times because she was just so bland. 

Final Thoughts

Everything, Everything is a novel that I'd highly recommend if you want a swoonworthy boy, if you want to read scenes that really encapsulate what it means to fall in love. I wouldn't recommend it if you're intrigued by SCIDs - it plays a large role in the book, but information about it is usually repeated. All in all, Everything, Everything is a romance novel - and you should pretty much only read it if you're prepared for that. 


Rating



Keep reading and loving books!
Geraldine



Enjoyed reading this? You should definitely follow me to get more updates! 

You Might Also Like