Connect with Me!

Conversations: Fifty Shades of Grey for 15 Year Olds?

Saturday, April 23, 2016 Geraldine 0 Comments

Another fortnight has passed...and it's time for another Conversations post! :D This week, let's discuss.... Is 15 years old too young to be reading Fifty Shades of Grey?

Having never read Fifty Shades of Grey myself, I don't think I can adequately comment on if fifteen year old is too young to be reading it. I'll try to answer the prompt though, based on what I've heard from other people! 

Some people say that 15 year old is too young to read Fifty Shades of Grey, because it involves sex. However, having been a 15 year old girl (or at least close to it...I was 16) around when the Fifty Shades of Grey movie came out, I remember that a couple of people my age went to go see the movie. Some went multiple times. I know that I even joked about going to see it myself. I think 15 year olds are pretty aware of what sex is - so from an age perspective - I think 15 year olds are mature enough to read it. 

However, with regards to the actual sexual content in Fifty Shades of Grey, I've heard that it represents the BDSM community pretty poorly - apparently in BDSM, there is a safeword, and once that's uttered, things need to cool down. But in Fifty Shades of Grey, I;ve heard that either there's no safeword, or that the pairing don't cool off. That's a dangerous depiction of BDSM, and very incorrect. The true hazard comes with 15 year olds attempting this depiction of BDSM, and resulting in one or both of them feeling traumatised or some other worse side effects. That's when these 15 year olds shouldn't be reading this book - because yeah, 15 year olds have sex. And when that sex goes wrong...well...that's bad. 

My view is this: It's fine for 15 year olds to be reading Fifty Shades of Grey - so long as they are aware that its content is fictional, and that it's not a good model of sex for them. I think 15 year olds nowadays are pretty aware of what sex involves, and what might be an accurate depiction of it. I feel like we can get lots of information about it online, in books, etc. nowadays, so if there is anything they feel uncomfortable about, if there's anything they're unsure about - they can check up with those resources. Of course, my opinion relies on 15 year olds being very mature and responsible...which might not necessarily be the case. 

Man, this post was really hard to write. Honestly, my views about this really fluctuate a lot xD Link up your posts about this topic, or else comment below to let me know! Hopefully you can make things a lot more clearer for me! :) 

Keep reading and loving books!
Geraldine



Enjoyed reading this? You should definitely follow me to get more updates! 

You Might Also Like