Connect with Me!

Me Before You by Jojo Moyes

Saturday, March 12, 2016 Geraldine 0 Comments



The Breakdown


General Info:
     Title: Me Before You
     Author: Jojo Moyes
     Genre: Romance, Adult fiction 
     Publisher: Viking/Pamela Dorman Books
     Publishing Date: December 31, 2012

Thoughts:
     Excellent:
          - EVERYTHING. 

    Things that could have been better:
         - NOTHING. 
         - But in all seriousness - the plot was a bit predictable

Rating:  stars
Goodreads | Amazon


Initial Thoughts

I picked up Me Before You because...who wouldn't after seeing that trailer? And honestly, I was not disappointed

Lou Clark knows lots of things. She knows how many footsteps there are between the bus stop and home. She knows she likes working in The Buttered Bun tea shop and she knows she might not love her boyfriend Patrick.

What Lou doesn't know is she's about to lose her job or that knowing what's coming is what keeps her sane.

Will Traynor knows his motorcycle accident took away his desire to live. He knows everything feels very small and rather joyless now and he knows exactly how he's going to put a stop to that.

What Will doesn't know is that Lou is about to burst into his world in a riot of colour. And neither of them knows they're going to change the other for all time.


Characters

I loved each and every character. This is so rare for me to say, but I really did. Louisa Clark was quirky, interesting and just so endearing. Although some might say she's daft and stupid, I felt like her quirks added character and really made her unique to me. She was also relatable, because of her quirks - we all have our own tiny habits, and hers made her so relatable to me! Especially her clumsiness - I'm completely like that! Did I tell you, I tripped over on my first day of uni, saying hi to some old classmates I stumbled upon? ...yeah, that's a true story. >.< I could honestly list more examples haha xD
Will Traynor was affable, witty and sarcastic, and just so skeptical. I loved reading about him, because he was such a contrast to Lousia - it was refreshing to see someone so harsh on the world, whereas Louisa is more forgiiving. 
Nathan was a Kiwi, so of course I liked him - very nice to see a Southern Hemisphere character! :) 

Plot

I don't know if this was because I watched the trailer, read the Wikipedia page (COME ON, who doesn't do this?? >.< )  or because I've read a couple of novels that follow this same type of plot, but I completely expected what would happen in the end. The real magic of Me Before You though, is despite its predictability, you want, you wish and you hope that the plot doesn't go the way you think it will

Spoiler paragraph below... Highlight over it to see the spoiler. Otherwise, if you haven't read the book - DON'T!!
I'll expand on the point above. WILL TRAYNOR. HOW COULD YOU DO THIS. I was hoping, wishing, wanting him to choose to live! That ending really got to me. Especially when Lousia was in Paris, reading that letter. I FELT TEARS STREAM DOWN MY FACE. ACTUAL TEARS. And I'm not the kind of girl that cries a lot! That moment especially was so strong for me, because it showed, how much Lousia had changed, from knowing Will in that short period of time. 

Writing Style

I don't have much to say about the writing style, because honestly, I didn't notice it after a while - which is good! It was easy to read, and didn't detract from the reading experience at all. Concise, yet beautiful! :D 


Entertainment Value 

Moyes just hooked me. Man, I thought the book was eh at the start...but then, before I knew it, I LOVED EVERY WORD. I didn't even want to head off for work - I kept reading until the VERY LAST MINUTE THAT I COULD. Me Before You was seriously addicting. I finished it in one day! :D 

Final Thoughts

This is not the run-of-the-mill incurable disease novel (you know what I mean, x love interest has incurable disease, y character falls in love, one of them dies). Although the plot type is very much similar, Me Before You stands out with its fantastic cast of characters, which are all endearing in their own way. 


Rating




Feelings in a Phrase

WHY :( 

Keep reading and loving books!
Geraldine



Enjoyed reading this? You should definitely follow me to get more updates! 

You Might Also Like