Connect with Me!

Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky | A Perky Read!

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 Geraldine 0 Comments

I actually did a buddy review with Tina @ Tina the Bookworm for this review! Here is Tina's beautifully formatted version of this review - give it some love too! :) 


The Breakdown


General Info:
     Title: Perks of Being a Wallflower
     Author: Stephen Chbosky
     Genre: YA, Contemporary
     Publisher: MTV Books and Pocket Books
     Publishing Date: Feburary 1st, 19999

Thoughts:
     Excellent:
          - It defied expectations
          - Characters were awesome - loved all of them~ 
          - The letter writing style was so unique and personal! 
          - The music in the book enhanced the reading experience
          - Wanted to read all the books mentioned in Perks! 

    Things that could have been better:
         - Charlie's siblings were unmemorable to some extent 

Rating: 5 stars
Goodreads | Amazon

What were your expectations going into reading The Perks of Being A Wallflower? 

Geraldine: I thought there would be coming of age elements, teenagers doing pot, getting high, and some deep messages at the end - pretty much a John Green novel, to be honest - and I don't like John Green novels. 
I was expecting myself to feel disappointed, because not only did it sound hugely pretentious, it was also super hyped - and I find that when books are hyped, I usually end up having high expectations and hating said book for not living up to those ridiculously high expectations. 

Tina: I heard this was a great book from like everyone. I didn’t really have any interest in reading it because Perks of Being a Wallflower is my sister’s favorite movie and she and I have like very different tastes so I didn’t think I would actually enjoy it. I can honestly tell you, I had ZERO idea what Perks of Being A Wallflower was even about. So I had semi high expectations based on the fact that those I trust told me this would be great.   

What did you think of the characters? 

Geraldine: I LOVED all the characters! I can't pick a favourite character - they were all so special and unique in their own way! 
I especially liked Charlie - he was such a great protagonist, and just so ADORABLE <3 He has such a unique way of seeing things. It was really hard to think of him as a 15 year old character though, to me he sounded a bit more like he was 8 years old? Still, that just added to the adorableness-factor, and I sympathised for him so much whilst reading the book because of that! 
I also really liked Candace - so much character growth there, and I am a huge sucker for character development! Candace is also goals - after hitting a hurdle, instead of giving up, she pushes through and becomes so much better
Finally, Sam. The Manic Pixie Girl trope has been so overdone (JOHN GREEN NOVELS) but in POBAW, it felt so natural, and Sam didn't feel as fake as other characters in other books that follow this trope. 

Tina: I loved all the characters in the book because they each stood out in their own way. I really liked Charlie. I felt like he wasn’t really 15 years old but more like an 8 year old at times but now having read the book I understand. I really just wanted to hug him. I really loved Sam and Patrick the most. I just loved how they took Charlie under their wing and really brought out the best of him and made him actually live in the moment instead of just “experiencing” things.

What did you think of the writing?

Geraldine: The writing was phenomenal. I loved the writing style - in the form of letters! It's so personal, and it really made me feel more connected to Charlie. 
There were some stellar quotes... My favourite quotes are the generic ones that everyone loves, but that's because they resonate so strongly. I think that anyone would connect with these quotes, because they cut to the core of what it means to be human. 
"And in that moment, I swear we were infinite" 
"We accept the love we think we deserve" 
"Things change. And friends leave. Life doesn't stop for anybody"
"I would die for you. But I won't live for you"

Tina: I absolutely loved the fact that the story was written in letterform. I thought that was really unique. The only other story I have ever read in letterform was Anne Frank’s Diary but Perks of Being a Wallflower just felt more personal. I felt like Charlie was writing to me.   The story was unique with a unique cast of characters that felt like the book really stood out on it’s own. I am definitely buying myself a copy.   

Anything you liked in particular about the book?

Geraldine: Uh...nothing? It was all just SO good. I honestly can't pinpoint any ONE thing that I liked the most - maybe how everything just tied together? Not in terms of the plot, but just how the writing, the story and everything worked so well together

Tina: What did I like about this book? Um, everything! I liked the writing, it was strong, it was bold, and it was amazing. The characters were so diverse; Charlie was a bit of a disaster but a beautiful disaster at that. I loved how everything tied together.   There were so many good quotes throughout the book but I have to say that my favorite was “I would die for you but I won’t live for you.”  That would make the most amazing tattoo.   I loved the mentioned of the music, I have an apple music subscription and I went and found all the songs mentioned on Patrick’s mix tape and I LOVED IT. It totally enhanced the book for me. I also loved the mention of the books Charlie was reading. There were so many of those books that are on my TBR for example The Fountainhead has been on my TBR for a very long time. It is one of my top books to read this year and seeing it mentioned in the book made me want to read it even sooner. 

What about any dislikes? 

Geraldine: Does it count if I dislike that I don't dislike anything in this book? 

Tina: I didn’t dislike anything really.  The one thing that kind of bugged me was that I couldn’t remember Charlie’s siblings’ names or I couldn’t remember them being mentioned. That was the only thing I sort of disliked but other than that I really enjoyed this book.  

The Perks of Being a Wallflower was set in the 1990s. Any thoughts about that period in time? 

Geraldine: Being born in 1998, I honestly have NO idea what the 1990s were like. I listen to 90s music sure, but nothing like what Patrick. Sam and Charlie listened to. I listened to more...boy band...kind of music. 
Reading this book, it didn't even feel like there was a set period of time - it could have been set now, and I wouldn't have realised it, because it dealt with such universal teenagery things :) Otherwise, nothing has changed much since that time. 

Tina: I was born in 1991 so I really enjoyed reading a book that takes place when I was a couple months old. I also loved the fact that even though it was set in the 90s the topics and situations set in the book could have easily happened today. I think that’s one of my favorite things about the book.    

Rate the book! 

Geraldine: Five out of five stars! :) 

Tina: 5 out of 5 stars! I highly recommend this and the movie because both are absolutely AMAZING.

It was so awesome buddy reading this with you, Tina, and collaborating to write this review! I really feel like we got to the essence of what this book means to us! Let us know down below if you think so too, and what thoughts you had whilst reading Perks of Being a Wallflower! :) 


Enjoyed reading this? You should definitely follow me to get more updates! 
Bloglovin' | Twitter Facebook Goodreads Google + | 

Interested in what Tina has to say? Follow her to get updates! 
Blog | Bloglovin' | Twitter | Goodreads | Facebook

You Might Also Like