Connect with Me!

Diverging Cadence by Katie Hamstead

Monday, February 29, 2016 Geraldine 0 Comments



The Breakdown


General Info:
     Title: Diverging Cadence
     Author: Katie Hamstead
     Genre: Contemporary
     Publisher: REUTS Publishing
     Publishing Date: August 25th 2015

Thoughts:
     Excellent:
          - JAMES <3 
          - Austin - and that plot twist with him~ 
          - Writing style was easy to read, like the previous book~! :) 
         - Fanfictioney feels~

    Things that could have been better:
         - Cadence as a character and her decisions - I didn't agree with her choices and her agonisation was annoying to read
        -  A really perfect ending - wrapped up too neatly for me

Rating: 4 stars
Goodreads | Amazon


Initial Thoughts

I LOVED reading Deceptive Cadence - it was actually so addictive and fan-fictioney in the sense that although the characters were unrealistic, I STILL WANTED MORE. I immediately leapt into Diverging Cadence the very same night that I finished reading Deceptive Cadence!  

When Cadence Anderson woke to find her husband and infant daughter had been killed, she thought her life was over. Instead, she was offered a second chance and sent back in time to do it all again.

She’s made the most of this opportunity, repairing her relationship with the best friend she lost the first time, avoiding the romantic mistakes she made originally, and even bringing her family closer together. But she’s also done something she wasn’t planning on—she’s fallen in love with someone other than her future husband.

Stepping onto a plane and flying across country to attend university is the hardest decision she’s had to make. But unless she follows through with it, her future with Austin might never happen. And what becomes of her beautiful baby if she stays with James, the man she was never supposed to love?

The only thing she knows for certain is that she has to see Austin again, and she’s intent on reliving that part of her previous life exactly like she did the first time. Even if that means she has to lie to James to do it. Because, deep down, she can’t quite bring herself to let him go.

Now, past and future are about to collide, and Cadence has to make her final choice—follow the uncertain path of a life with James, or the one she came back to save . . . with Austin.

In this emotional conclusion to the story that began in Deceptive Cadence, relationships will be tested, identities revealed, and the past will overshadow the future, putting the finishing touches on an unforgettable tale of courage, sacrifice, and, above all, love.

Characters

Staying true to the first book, Deceptive Cadence, some characters remained unrealistic, like Cadence and James. But, for me, they weren't as enjoyable to read about. 

Cadence

Personally, I disagreed with some of the choices that Cadence made in this book, because they went against my own morals, and I was screaming at her the entire time. It made no sense to me how she could let things carry this far and pretty much promise to marry two guys . Plus, I felt like she deliberated over the decision between Austin and James for WAY too long - and she should have just finished things off with either one rapidly. 

I also couldn't deal with her decision at the end, where she's a grieving widow, who gets together with James not three months after her husband dies. I dunno, that just kind of rung false to me, and was unrealistic

The Male Love Interests

Austin and James were...phenomenal. We're seeing them both from the eyes of Cadence though, so there is some bias haha xD But I really liked the both of them. Still, I found myself more drawn towards James, because 1) THAT FIRST BOOK 2) I felt like Austin's time with Cadence was over 3) Austin was really skipped over more in this part - all the sections with him in it didn't feel as electrifying as the scenes with James. 

Plot

I liked the plot. The plot was fairly obvious to me after the first 20% of the book - I knew who Cadence would pretty much end up with. I still enjoyed reading it though - that's probably because of the addictive writing style (see below). 

There was one plot twist for me, and that just made the book so much better. It was totally unexpected for me, but just knowing that Austin turned out to be her guardian angel was amazing, and it made so much sense.  

However, I also can't help but think that everything was wrapped up a little bit too neatly at the end - everything magically seemed to fall into place, and as a reader, I don't like that. I like to have an inkling

I can't help but think that the title for this book, Diverging Cadence, should have been swapped with the title for the first book, Deceptive Cadence. I mean, in the first book, Cadence really did diverge more from the original timeline, and in this book, she was more deceptive

Writing Style

Diverging Cadence maintained the same easy reading nature that Deceptive Cadence had. There was a lot of dialogue, which I liked. Honestly...just see my review for Deceptive Cadence if you wanna hear about the writing style - all I can say is, it was really good, and kept me hooked in. It gave me those fanfictioney feels! 

Entertainment Value

I really liked reading Diverging Cadence, there's no doubting that. The only thing is, I couldn't help but compare it to Deceptive Cadence, and just think how much more entertaining Deceptive Cadence was for me. Deceptive Cadence was unputdownable (not a word but I'm not sorry), and for me, this book was not. I think that was mainly because I grew sick of Cadence as a character - her choices were not ones I would have made and I was tired of hearing her agonise over two men. 

Final Thoughts

I really enjoyed reading Diverging Cadence, but for me, my overall impression was left tainted by how much of the novel was about the love triangle, and choosing between Austin and James. If you like contemporary books and don't mind cheating, then I definitely suggest you read Diverging Cadence. Make sure to start with the first book though! If you like fluff and cuteness, just stick to Deceptive Cadence. For me, I didn't like the cheating...and that's why I rated it a 4 stars, as opposed to the 5 stars (or roughly) that I gave Deceptive Cadence

Rating

Thoughts Summed Up In A Phrase

But JAMES :( 


Keep reading and loving books!
Geraldine


I received a copy of this book in the form of an ebook by YA Bound tours for review, but my opinions and thoughts are 100% honest.


Enjoyed reading this? You should definitely follow me to get more updates! 

You Might Also Like