Connect with Me!

Truthwitch by Susan Dennard

Wednesday, January 13, 2016 Geraldine 0 Comments


The Breakdown


General Info:
     Title: Truthwitch
     Author: Susan Dennard
     Genre: YA, Fantasy
     Publisher: Tor Teen
     Release date: January 5th, 2016

Thoughts:
     Excellent:
          - The world-building
          - Relationships between characters

    Things that could have been better:
         - The exposition - felt like I was being thrown into a whole new world with no guide
         - Safi and Merik's relationship and characters

Rating: 4 stars
Goodreads | Amazon

Initial Thoughts

Truthwitch is one of the most anticipated books of this year. I had heard so much about it, and I absolutely could not wait to finally read it - so when I finally got it, I was really excited and started reading it immediately!

On a continent ruled by three empires, some are born with a “witchery”, a magical skill that sets them apart from others. In the Witchlands, there are almost as many types of magic as there are ways to get in trouble—as two desperate young women know all too well. Safiya is a Truthwitch, able to discern truth from lie. It’s a powerful magic that many would kill to have on their side, especially amongst the nobility to which Safi was born. So Safi must keep her gift hidden, lest she be used as a pawn in the struggle between empires. Iseult, a Threadwitch, can see the invisible ties that bind and entangle the lives around her—but she cannot see the bonds that touch her own heart. Her unlikely friendship with Safi has taken her from life as an outcast into one of reckless adventure, where she is a cool, wary balance to Safi’s hotheaded impulsiveness. Safi and Iseult just want to be free to live their own lives, but war is coming to the Witchlands. With the help of the cunning Prince Merik (a Windwitch and ship’s captain) and the hindrance of a Bloodwitch bent on revenge, the friends must fight emperors, princes, and mercenaries alike, who will stop at nothing to get their hands on a Truthwitch

The Relationships Between Characters

I really loved how Safi and Iseult's relationships were built up, and how there was a recurring theme of loyalty, and always being there for your Threadsister. That was really nice, and a great message to send out. Same with the bromance between Kullen and Merik. Even some relationships, like Safiya and her uncle Eron, which I thought was distateful at first, eventually surprised me, and I loved the plot twists in these relationships. 

Safi and Merik's Relationship Felt False and I Didn't Like Them

Safi's hot-headedness and Merik's arrogance grated at my nerves. Safi sacrificing everything and everyone for the sake of one person? Merik challenging Safi to a dance? Locking Safi up for doing something that he didn't think was right? I dunno, I just didn't see how Safi and Merik's relationship really worked out because of their characters. Personally, I thought the relationship was a bit insta-lovey. There was immediate attraction, and whilst it developed over the course of the book, it still felt a bit rushed by the end.

The Exposition Was Too Abrupt

For the first 40 or so pages, I was reading this book on auto-pilot. I had no idea what world I had stepped into, what Threadwitches really did, what Threadstones were, how a Bloodwitch works, what a domna is...yeah I felt like there was a lot that wasn't explained. However, as the book progressed, it finally began to make more sense. I think the first few pages would have been easier to read if there was more explanation - Dennard really relies on the reader to figure out what individual terms mean. 

The World Building

First of all, wow. I love how detailed this world is, how much thought was put into making all the different lands and attitudes. Although it was a whole different world, I loved how the inherent parts of human nature were maintained - such as friendship, loyalty, love, and prejudice. I loved how Kullen and Merik had such a great friendship going on. I loved how Safi and Iseult were loyal to each other. I loved how Safi demonstrated that love means doing things for the ones you love. I loved how the prejudice against the Nomatsi group was reflective of the prejudice against several ethnic groups in the world today. 

The Ending

I loved the ending! It was really well done, I felt. It wrapped up this book amazingly and still left me wanting more, anticipating the next book's release. There were some plot-twists - but nothing major - but still enough to leave me grasping on, wanting more. 

Final Thoughts

Truthwitch is certainly a great first novel for this series. I'll be keeping an eye out for the next book in the series! I'm rating it 4 stars, mainly because of how much the first 40 or so pages confused me, and also because of the insta-love between Safi and Merik.Ultimately, I think Truthwitch is a good book, but definitely not one that will stick around long after you've read it, and that it's just really hyped up. What do you guys think? Have you read Truthwitch? Any other recommendations for me after Truthwitch? 

Keep reading and loving books!
Geraldine

You Might Also Like