Connect with Me!

Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell

Sunday, January 03, 2016 Geraldine 0 Comments

The Breakdown



Excellent:
- Rowell's writing is really beautiful - she has a way with words!
- Park's mother's characterisation - really developed! 

Meh: 
- Unrealistic 
- Insta-love (it felt like it) 
- Ending didn't feel like a proper ending - no closure
Rating: 2 stars
Goodreads | Amazon


I picked up Eleanor and Park because I read a quote over at the Paperback Princess that sounded really beautiful...
"Eleanor was right. She never looked nice. She looked like art, and art wasn't supposed to look nice; it was supposed to make you feel something."
Intrigued, I decided to give the book a try, because the synopsis sounded so beautiful as well!


Two misfits.
One extraordinary love.

Eleanor... Red hair, wrong clothes. Standing behind him until he turns his head. Lying beside him until he wakes up. Making everyone else seem drabber and flatter and never good enough...Eleanor.

Park... He knows she'll love a song before he plays it for her. He laughs at her jokes before she ever gets to the punch line. There's a place on his chest, just below his throat, that makes her want to keep promises...Park.

Set over the course of one school year, this is the story of two star-crossed sixteen-year-olds—smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try.


Eleanor and Park was nothing like what I expected. It was definitely very moving at some points for me, very reminiscent of my first love, but at the same time, it also felt unrealistic. The quick romance between Eleanor and Park was unbelievable for me - going from reluctance to talk to each other, to being excited to see each other in the span of fifty or so pages really threw me off. Furthermore, some of the dialogue was unrealistic to me, words that would never really be spoken aloud in a teenage relationship. Finally, the ending to Eleanor and Park really frustrated me - it didn't feel like an ending, more like the novel just stopped halfway through. 

The best parts of the novel would be the quotes. Seriously, Rowell's writing is flawless, and paints a beautiful picture in my head. 
My favourite character was surprisingly, Park's mother. Park's mother really grew on me, and the most touching moments in the book all involved her, for me. She showed the most character development for me, and I really appreciated that. 

For me, Eleanor and Park only gets 2 stars. Personally, I feel like this book was overhyped, and would definitely suit those who loved The Fault in The Stars by John Green, because, at its heart, the premise is pretty much the same - boy and girl find love for the first time, boy helps out girl, relationship ends in some unexplicable manner. 

Have you read Eleanor and Park? And if so, do you share the same feelings about it as I do? Let me know in the comments! 

Keep reading and loving books!
Geraldine

You Might Also Like