Connect with Me!

A Cure for Madness by Jodi McIsaac| No Cure For This Madness

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 Geraldine 0 Comments



The Breakdown


General Info:
     Title: A Cure for Madness
     Author: Jodi McIsaac
     Genre: Thriller, Mystery
     Publisher: Thomas and Mercer
     Expected Release Date: January 19, 2016

Thoughts:
     Excellent:
          - The premise
          - The writing - easy to read

    Things that could have been better:
         - Everything was too conveniently set - Clare's reactions, the problems conveniently                created drama - to the point that it was unrealistic/unbelievable
         - The characters - but Wes actually grew on me
         - The ending was way too perfect

Rating: 2 stars
Goodreads | Amazon

Initial Thoughts

I requested this book as an ARC from Thomas and Mercer on Netgalley, intrigued by the mystery of a new, unknown disease, plus the choice that the main character, Clare Campbell, would have to go through with. 

Clare Campbell has worked hard to create distance between herself and her troubled family. But when she receives news of her parents’ murder, she’s forced to return to the quiet town of Clarkeston, Maine, to arrange their funeral and take legal guardianship of her unpredictable and mentally ill brother, Wes. 

While Clare struggles to come to grips with the death of her parents, a terrifying pathogen outbreak overtakes the town. She is all too familiar with the resulting symptoms, which resemble those of her brother’s schizophrenia: hallucinations, paranoia, and bizarre, even violent, behavior. Before long, the government steps in—and one agent takes a special interest in Wes. Clare must make a horrifying decision: save her brother or save the world.

The Premise Intrigued The Doctor In Me

The premise of the novel really interested me. I mean "a terrifying pathogen outbreak overtakes the town"?? Who could resist that? As a hopeful doctor, I'm really drawn into this concept. However, I don't think that this concept played out well in the novel. 

The Plot Was A Little Too Convenient

Suddenly meeting an old flame at the hospital? This old flame willing to help Clare? Just finding out about having been exposed to the infection right before Clare leaves? A sudden roadblock preventing Clare and her brother from travelling out of town? 

I don't know how much research Jodi McIsaac has done, but it really seems like very little, because I think that lots of the plot events are unrealistic and consequently unbelievable. For one, at one point, McIsaac reveals that the CDC hasn't been wearing protective suits until recently, and personally, that sounds a little off to me - wouldn't they rather take precautions rather than risks with an unknown disease? 
Add to that the convenient nature of some problems and resolutions, this makes for a really unrealistic plot. I mean. suddenly meeting an old flame at the hospital? This old flame willing to help Clare? Just finding out about having been exposed to the infection right before Clare leaves? A sudden roadblock preventing Clare and her brother from travelling out of town? 
The whole plot is sustained with convenient, coincidental plot events like these, which I don't think would happen in real life. 

The Writing Made It Easy To Read

It was really easy to understand what was going on, everything was clear-cut and not overly descriptive. Some parts were also really dramatic and sounded great, adding to the pressure of the moment. 
"Under the law, your cooperation is appreciated but not required." 
Despite this, there are some moments where Jodi McIsaac focuses her writing on Christianity. Not being a Christian, I found it to be a bit overbearing, and sometimes difficult to handle. However, it 

The Characters Grated On My Nerves

I can't really pin down why almost all the characters got on my nerves. To be specific, Clare, the main character got on my nerves the most. Clare's lack of compassion for her brother and her self-serving nature got to me, and her past couldn't excuse her current actions for me. Kenneth also irritated me, because I felt he was a filler character, someone to fill in as Clare's partner, and someone to fill in so that certain plot events could happen. Uncle Rob was non-existent throughout the book, and I could hardly believe it when he appeared at the end again - I'd forgotten all about him because he wasn't mentioned in a large capacity throughout most of the book. The only person I could actually put up with was Wes, and even then, I didn't like him at the start of the book. He only grew on me as I kept reading, after hearing his backstory and why he was arrested. 

The Ending Was Ridiculous

So I can't spoil too much here...but the ending was too perfect, and wasn't consistent with the story. There were facts that were laid out about a specific part of the ending, that were blatantly ignored, and that ruined the ending for me. 

Final Thoughts

I feel like this review has just been a huge rant. A Cure for Madness isn't a bad book to read if you want a quick read. However, if you critically read through this book, you're sure to find a lot of plot holes, which can ruin the book and the suspense for you. I'd rate it 2 stars, just because the premise hooked me in, and the writing style was easy enough to keep me reading. That being said, if anyone likes to just read without thinking about the logistics of the world that Jodi McIsaac has created, then this book would be a great read for them. 

Keep reading and loving books!
Geraldine

Disclaimer: I received this book from Netgalley in return for an honest review. This has, in no way, affected my review of the book. 

You Might Also Like