Connect with Me!

The Pact by Jodi Picoult

Tuesday, December 01, 2015 Geraldine 0 Comments

The Breakdown


Excellent:
  • Characters
Meh: 
  • Court scenes started dragging a bit
    Rating: 4  stars

    Goodreads | Amazon

    The Review


    For eighteen years the Hartes and the Golds have lived next door to each other, sharing everything from Chinese food to chicken pox to carpool duty-- they've grown so close it seems they have always been a part of each other's lives. Parents and children alike have been best friends, so it's no surprise that in high school Chris and Emily's friendship blossoms into something more. They've been soul mates since they were born. 
    So when midnight calls from the hospital come in, no one is ready for the appalling truth: Emily is dead at seventeen from a gunshot wound to the head. There's a single unspent bullet in the gun that Chris took from his father's cabinet-- a bullet that Chris tells police he intended for himself. But a local detective has doubts about the suicide pact that Chris has described.

    I've only read one Jodi Picoult book before this day, and it was called 'Handle With Care'. It was saddening, and I sobbed all throughout, especially at the end. I picked this book up for my yearly dose of sadness and tears. True enough, I did shed a few tears while reading this book.

    I've read a few reviews on Goodreads about this book, and most of them had pretty bad things to say about the characters in 'The Pact'. However, I disagree with these reviews. Sure, I found some of the characters really irritating (cue Melanie Gold), but they were very realistic and consistent with their own story. Picoult has a marvellous insight into human nature, and it is because of this that I believe that her characters are drafted so well and consistently. Picoult makes us, the readers, grieve, because we feel close to the characters. She builds them all up over a gradual amount of time, and then sends us crashing when something bad happens to them. We feel everything so intensely because we have the added background, and we feel like we knew each and everyone of the characters intimately.

    Although this book didn't match up to the standard that I set for Jodi Picoult, it was, nonetheless, a gripping story. Which is why I'd rate it 4 stars out of 5. It drew me in, captivated me and was a perfect showing of human nature.

    Keep reading and loving books,

    Geraldine

    You Might Also Like