Connect with Me!

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden

Sunday, December 27, 2015 Geraldine 0 Comments

The Breakdown


Excellent:
- Writing style
- Analogies
-Quotes
Meh: 

- Ending was a bit 

Rating: 5 stars

Goodreads | Amazon

The Review

Memoirs of a Geisha is a book that I picked up at the library, after hearing about it for a while. I was blown away by this book - the synopsis doesn't really do this book justice.

The only part of the book that didn't agree with me would have been the ending. I personally felt that it didn't make sense, that it was a rushed ending, which didn't make too much sense to me. However, this is my only complaint with the book, because Golden really kept me hooked onto this novel.

The writing style engaged me. I loved how the Japanese language was combined in the text - it really richened it for me. Furthermore, the plot was interesting - from Chiyo's struggles with Hatsumomo to Sayuri's search for the Chairman's love. I really liked how Golden also refers back to previous small details, like when he mentions what happened to Raiha, a geisha mentioned in passing  earlier on in the novel.
His analogies are also really memorable, such as the one about the eel and the cave. 

One of my favourite quotes from this book includes:

Adversity is like a strong wind. I don't mean just that it holds us back from places we might otherwise go. It also tears away from us all but the things that cannot be torn, so that afterward we see ourselves as we really are, and not merely as we might like to be.

They're really poetic, and yet encapsulate the meaning of adversity for me perfectly. 

Memoirs of a Geisha is a wonderful historical novel, that is perfect for those who love books like A Thousand Splendid Suns. A story about the transformation of a girl to a woman, and her journey through the difficult years of World War II, this was an enchanting novel that kept me reading. Five out of five stars from me. 

Keep reading and loving books, 
Geraldine


You Might Also Like