Connect with Me!

Bookish thoughts about 2015

Wednesday, December 30, 2015 Geraldine 0 Comments


2015 was a huge year for me, in terms of my personal life. I did major assignments for school, had my formal and graduated! With all this craziness in my personal life, I didn't really have time to read... :( Usually I read more than this, I promise!

Bookish Awards! 

Book with the Best Quotes?

The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde! Although it's technically a play, and not a book, this play was so quotable, I found memorising quotes for my final English papers on this book to be simple! 


Book That Brought the Most Feels?

Without a doubt, Khaled Hosseini's A Thousand Splendid Suns. It is the only book that has made me cry during and after reading the book. 

Book I related to the most?

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden - because even though I'm not a geisha in 1900s Japan, I really related to the motif of change throughout this book. In my final year of high-school, so much changed, and this book articulated everything I felt really well



Mini Book Reviews~

These are all the books I've read in the past year, along with one or two lines about how I felt about the book! There aren't that many this year... Funny what your final year of secondary schooling can do to your reading habits... Enjoy :) 
1. Binge by Tyler Oakley - Funny and thought-provoking, this book really got me out of my reading slump.
2. The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath - An insightful book, which was written really well.
3. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey - A friend recommended this - it was initially hard to get through, but quite interesting towards the end.
4. A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini - One of the best books I read this year
5. Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden - Rich and full of meaning, books like this are the reason why I read.
6. The Alchemyst by Michael Scott - A reread, and I remembered why I loved this series so much
7. The Novice by Taran Matharu - Reminded me so much of Digimon, and I really want to keep reading more!
8. Inked by Eric Smith - An ARC that was difficult at first, but proved to be a very snappy, fun read.
9. Songs of Willow Frost by Jamie Ford - Quaint book, that does the "two stories in one" style really well
10. Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy by Cassandra Clare - More Simon, need I say more?
11. The Calling by James Frey - Really jam-packed with action - I liked it :D
12. Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas - I didn't quite like this book compared to Throne of Glass - I felt that it was harder to keep track of the story.
13. The Empress Chronicles by Suzy Vitello - I didn't finish this book... :/ 
14. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen - I never go a year without reading this beloved classic.
15. We by Yevgeny Zamyatin - The countless times I had to reread this for my English Works in Translation paper deadened me to the initial appeal I had for this book.
16. The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde - Humorous, this play really blew me away!
17. The Crucible by Arthur Miller - Dramatic and made me think about the power of the minority. I liked it!
18. Pygmalion by George Bernard Shaw -  I couldn't relate to any of the characters, because I felt that were quite unrealistic..didn't fully enjoy as a result
19.  Revenge of Seven by Pittacus Lore - LOVE LOVE LOVE
20.  Violinist of Venice by Alyssa Palombo - Got me out of a huge reading slump - and reminded me why I like reading historical fiction
21. The Living Goddess by Isabella Tree - Was in Nepal and was intrigued by the idea of the Kumari (living girl goddesses) and this book told me pretty much everything I wanted to know!
22. Keepsake by Suzy Vitello - Still in the middle of reading this... 
23. The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde - Still in the middle of reading this... 



Bookish thoughts

This year, I don't think I really read much of my favourite genre - YA. I mostly read classics and general fiction...which was alright, but looking back now, I would definitely love to see more YA books. New Year's Resolution - read more YA!!! 
Despite not reading too much, I'm really glad to be back blogging. Looking at my archive, I kinda dislike not having a continuous stream of posts, but yeah I realised this year that I missed blogging, and I'm happy to be back doing it, and seeing all different books on other people's blogs! 

How was your bookish year? Let me know in the comments below, on if you have any regrets, what joys you've experienced...etc! 

Keep reading and loving books,
Geraldine

You Might Also Like