Connect with Me!

Star-Crossed by Frances Kelly

Friday, August 14, 2015 Geraldine 0 Comments

Bittersweet love through the ages.Before Bella & Edward, before Katniss & Peeta, before Luce & Daniel, there was Romeo & Juliet, Orpheus & Eurydice, Heathcliff & Cathy.Discover the timeless love stories that inspired your favourite authors. Discover the legendary romances that will take your breath away and melt your heart. Discover the couples who fought for their love and sacrificed everything to be together.Star - crossed is a romantic collection of fascinating tales of love, devotion, longing and triumph from myth, history and fiction

I'm ashamed to admit this... I picked this book up from the library, mainly because I saw mention of Katniss and Peeta in the blurb. 

I've wanted to read the original story of Heathcliff and Cathy for a while, and I even attempted, but the whole writing of it was so offputting! I gave up on it on Chapter 2. This shortened, condensed version made me understand the context, and I really feel like it's an interesting book now. I even feel motivated to try and read Wuthering Heights again!

I think this book also incorporated a few tales that are not original stories written by other authors. Instead, I think there were tales published in this book that have never been written before. For example, there is a story in this book about Virginia Woolf. I doubt that there has ever been a story written before on Virginia Woolf in the context of this book. However, if there is, then feel free to inform me!

Each story in this book was relatively short and snappy, getting straight to the point. There was no flowery language, and this made it easy to understand in a short time. This book is like the Sparknotes of romance stories, essentially. The story is written in language easy to read.

In the end, I guess I'd rate this book a 2 stars out of 5. It was OK  really, and I wouldn't read it again. It's a good book for introducing and giving the context of romance stories, but don't read it, if you want the original stories. 

Keep reading and loving books,

Geraldine

You Might Also Like