Connect with Me!

City of Bones: The Movie

Saturday, August 31, 2013 Geraldine 0 Comments



As everyone knows, I'm a big big BIG fan of Cassandra Clare's Shadowhunter World. So, to celebrate the end of BLOCK exams today, a couple of friends and I went to go see the 'City of Bones'!!! I literally have no idea what the hell to write about... Like all book-to-movie adaptions, it WASN'T AS GOOD AS THE BOOK ITSELF! Despite this, this was definitely really good.

I walked into the cinema having such low expectations, from the reviews by critics. One lesson I've learnt now: NEVER trust the critics. They don't understand books!!! However, there were a one or two things which I guess they picked up on, which I also agreed was pretty bad...

One thing that really let me down with this movie was the music playing at unnecessary times, such as the greenhouse scene (yeah, you know what I'm talking about <3 ). The greenhouse scene had music playing that really did not suit the scene.

In addition to loving Cassandra Clare's Shadowhunter world, I also quite like classical music *guilty blush*. The nod to Bach was pretty unique, and I loved how it had a whole purpose to it in the end. 

The whole Shadowhunter world just bloomed before my eyes, and I just wanted to travel to Brooklyn right there and then, to the Institute and everything! Magnus's party... MAGNUS HIMSELF :P Everything was beautiful, and they were quite true to the book, even thought there were a few plot points that they missed.

A sad thing is though.... I'm planning to reread the books again, and I think I might just imagine Jace as Jamie Campbell Bower.... I like my imagination!!! Oh yeah, I keep mixing them up, because Jace's name was derived from his 'name', which is 'Jonathan Christopher Wayland', right? And you have Jamie Campbell Bower. Do you see the similarity in the names??? J.C. I swear, they must have picked Jamie Campbell Bower because of this! Though I really wanted Alex Pettyfer for the role of Jace, I think that Jamie Campbell Bower really made the role of Jace his, and I can't even imagine Alex Pettyfer as Jace! 
Everything happened so fast! That's a good and bad thing I suppose.... Being a fan, I would expect the movie to be perfectly detailed and all, but there obviously isn't enough time for that :( But at the same time, it was 130 minutes~ Which is plenty long, but it went by so quickly!

You know what's also the best? Seeing the movie trailers for two other books that have been turned into movies, while in the cinema!!! 'Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters' as well as 'Catching Fire' were played before 'City of Bones' started and my friends and I were squealing and fangirling~~~

I'm still confused... But overall, this movie is perfect for anyone who hasn't read the books, I think, and it really made the whole Shadowhunter world come to life for me. Aside from some unnecessary music and cheesy lines, this movie was spectacular, a 4 star movie for me~ 

By the way, since this is a book blog, I'm also looking forward to the release of 'The Shadowhunter's Codex' so much! October is going to be a magical month, I just can't wait, so many TV shows to watch, books to read, my life is going to be full of rainbows, unicorns and everything magical~~~

Keep reading and loving books (as well as the movie adaptions of them),

Geraldine

You Might Also Like