Connect with Me!

The Stone Rose by Jaqueline Rayner- Audiobook read by David Tennant

Saturday, July 06, 2013 Geraldine Lee 0 Comments

The Breakdown


Excellent:
  • Character voice- sounded exactly like the characters
Nasty: 

  • Pace of the reading: not Tennant's fault, just that talking is slower than reading :/

    Rating: 4  stars

    The Review


    Mickey is startled to find a statue of Rose in a museum - a statue that is 2,000 years old. The Doctor realizes that this means the TARDIS will shortly take them to Ancient Rome, but when it does, he and Rose soon have more on their minds than sculpture. While the Doctor searches for a missing boy, Rose befriends a girl who claims to know the future. But then the Doctor stumbles on the hideous truth behind the statue of Rose - and Rose herself learns that you have to be very careful what you wish for..

    I've recently (for about 5 months) have fallen in love with Doctor Who. I used to dislike it so much, merely because all my friends would be talking about it, while I'd be left alone. I hated all the Doctor Who books out there. But that's all changed now. I recently read this book, The Stone Rose, by Jaqueline Rayner, about the Tenth Doctor and Rose Tyler (my favourite companion :P ), and it was a superb venture for me, into the world of Doctor Who prose.

    Timey-wimey wibbly wobbly indeed! The time-travelling back and forth in this book was great! It was mind-boggling and all, but it made sense. It added a nice flavour to the book, and instead of it being just an adventure story with the Doctor in Rome in 120 A.D., it became so much more unique and interesitng. The plot twists with this book thanks to time-travelling in the TARDIS was just so fun to read!

    The characters in this book were so alike to the ones on the TV show. Their mannerisms were the same, which was really clear by the way they talked (on the book). This was especially clear with Jackie's character. I could just imagine Jackie's dialogue, her clothes, the way she'd act and all! Rayner definitely captured the essence of all the characters in the Doctor Who series.

    After reading the book, I also listened to the audiobook, while reading the book again. I found the audiobook interesting at first; after all, it's narrated by David Tennant in that cool accent of his! However, after a while, it did grate at my nerves a bit, because I'd find myself skipping ahead and reading on ahead.

    This didn't blind me to how wonderful of a job Tennant did as narrator; every single character had their own unique voice, and it was almost as if I was watching the show myself! Mickey sounded like Mickey, Gracilius had the air of an older man, and he even got Jackie's voice right!

    The Stone Rose was such a perfect introduction for me into the world of Doctor Who prose. It's a 4 star novel, and I loved every single moment I spent reading it! This book has made me open to more and more of the Doctor Who novels. I'll be getting more and more of them to read and read and read!

    Keep reading and loving books,

    Geraldine

    You Might Also Like