Connect with Me!

Looking For Alaska by John Green

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 Geraldine Lee 0 Comments


After having read 'The Fault in Our Stars', I decided to Google up John Green and see what other books he's written, so that I could make a trip to my local library and devour them all. I only found this book, 'Looking for Alaska', and though I was disheartened, I began voraciously reading it when I got home.

"In the dark beside me, she smelled of sweat and sunshine and vanilla and on that thin-mooned night I could see little more than her silhouette, but even in the dark, I could see her eyes- fierce emeralds. And not just beautiful, but hot too."
Alaska Young. Gorgeous, clever , funny, sexy, screwed up- and utterly fascinating. Miles Halter could not be more in love with her. But when tragedy strikes, Miles discovers the value and pain of living and loving unconditionally.
Nothing will ever be the same.

Miles Halter has moved away from Florida to go attend a boarding school, Culver Creek in Alabama. Leaving only his family in Florida, having never been a social butterfly, he arrives to a school where he may actually fit in. Rooming with the Colonel, he is introduced to Alaska, a girl who he immediately takes a liking to. Over the course of time, they form a unique bond, which shatters once a tragedy hits them. Will Miles ever be able to find his way out of this labyrinth of suffering?


A highly emotional scene from the book
Found on deviantart, by Alethea-sama
Looking for Alaska was a very intriguing book, with characters that are both different and yet relatable. I couldn't relate to the characters in this book, in terms of the actions they followed. For example, I have never played a prank before in my life, probably because I lack the cunning to do it. I could feel the hairs on my shoulder stand right up when reading through the pranks that Miles was a part of. I loved how I couldn't relate to them in this way; it made me feel as if I were going on a journey, on a new adventure. Books that constantly take me away from my normal life interest me and keep me reading. Usually I stay clear from contemporary YA novels, because of the very fact that they hit too close to home; that they are sometimes too similar to my day-to-day activities. I read to escape from the world, not to relive it. Although I could not relate to their adventure, I most certainly could relate to their emotions. Grief, elation and fear were all emotions that I have experienced and Green does a magnificent job of describing them. Green doesn't use large words when describing things, especially emotions. He knows that emotions, though complex, don't need fancy, particular words to describe them. He knows that emotions are broad and encompassing and could never be contained by a single word. He knows that words have power.

Alaska was a character that, though I disproved of, wanted to be more like. I disproved of her impulsive acts, but at the same time, I was wishing to be as risk-taking as she was, as willing to give something a go. I generally consider myself to be quite smart, but when reading about Alaska and her self-righteousness, her elaborate words, I really felt minuscule in comparison.

Over the past week, I've been subjected to many books below my usual standard. 'Looking for Alaska' was a refreshing break from books which bored me. It opened my eyes, and for once in this week, I bothered to follow along every. single. word. written in this book. 'Just another page' was a phrase that was heard frequently, as I dove into this book, late at night. Thankfully the day after was a Saturday, because I stayed up until 1:00 reading. Haha, yes, I have no social life, thanks to my never-ending love for books.Just kidding

Looking for Alaska deserves 5 stars. In my opinion, it was so much better than 'The Fault in Our Stars', because it wasn't what I was expecting. 'The Fault in Our Stars' was quite predictable, whereas 'Looking for Alaska' was wild and unpredictable in comparison. An amazing YA contemporary book, this is one book that definitely needs to be read by the world.

Keep reading and loving books,

Geraldine

You Might Also Like