Connect with Me!

Touch of Power by Maria V. Snyder

Saturday, June 08, 2013 Geraldine 0 Comments

Laying hands upon the injured and dying, Avry of Kazan assumes their wounds and diseases into herself. But rather than being honored for her skills, she is hunted. Healers like Avry are accused of spreading the plague that has decimated the Territories, leaving the survivors in a state of chaos.

Stressed and tired from hiding, Avry is abducted by a band of rogues who, shockingly, value her gift above the golden bounty offered for her capture. Their leader, an enigmatic captor-protector with powers of his own, is unequivocal in his demands: Avry must heal a plague-stricken prince—leader of a campaign against her people. As they traverse the daunting Nine Mountains, beset by mercenaries and magical dangers, Avry must decide who is worth healing and what is worth dying for. Because the price of peace may well be her life....


I discovered this book at my local library, and it was NEW. A new book, at the library. You could just imagine my excitement. Plus, I've been wanting to read Maria V. Snyder's books for a while now! I definitely was not disappointed.

Avry drew me in from the very first chapter. She was compassionate, selfless and hardworking, but still quite intelligent, all values which I found compelling. He character was what drew me to the book, what made me keep reading and reading and reading. In short, she was the essence of a YA heroine's character. She was independent, and had her own views, while not being overbearing or pushy.

However, Kerrick was like a masked figure to me. He was abrupt, and I really didn't understand the moodswings he'd go through. It was difficult to tell when he was doing something for his own benefit, or if he was really being genuine for once. This creates a kind of mysterious atmosphere about him, which was both bad and good, in my opinion. 

This book really pulled me in, and I had to force myself away from it. Whenever I promised myself to spend only 10 minutes reading it, I'd somehow eventually end up reading for a whole hour. This book kept attracting me, due to its fast pace. I kept wanting to know what would happen next, what horrors, betrayals or capture they would run into. 

Despite the fact that it really drew me in, I felt like I couldn't visualise where Avry, Kerrick, Flea, Quain, Loren and Belen were. The description of the setting seemed mostly monotone and each one was exactly same to me. It was always a foresty region. I felt like Snyder could have done a better job in describing each setting, making each one unique, and not just the forest. Visualisation is a huge part in reading a book for me, and if I can't visualise what's happening in a book, I can't really connect with it.

Touch of Power is a gripping book that deserves a 3.5 stars out of 5 from me. It kept me hooked, and I had to pull myself away from it when I really should've been working. I'm heading into the library to forage for the next book, Scent of Magic now~

Keep reading and loving books,

Geraldine

You Might Also Like