Connect with Me!

Silence by Becca Fitzpatrick

Friday, May 31, 2013 Geraldine 0 Comments

WHEN SILENCE IS ALL THAT'S LEFT, CAN THE TRUTH FINALLY BE HEARD?

Nora Grey can't remember the past five months of her life. After the initial shock of waking up in a cemetery and being told that she has been missing for weeks - with no one knowing where she was or who she was with - she tried to get her life back on track. Go to school, hang out with her best friend, Vee, and dodge mom's creepy new boyfriend.

But there is this voice in the back of her head, an idea that she can almost reach out and touch. Visions of angel wings and unearthly creatures that have nothing to do with the life she knows.

And this unshakable feeling that a part of her is missing.

Then Nora crosses paths with a sexy stranger, whom she feels a mesmerizing connection to. He seems to hold all the answers...and her heart. Every minute she spends with him grows more and more intense until she realizes she could be falling in love. Again.


I felt like this book was OK. It wasn't as good as Hush Hush, yet it wasn't as bad as Crescendo. 

I hated the first half of the book. Absoloutely hated. I just wanted to go into the book, and scream at Nora, shake her and tell her everything that had happened. I didn't want a retelling of Nora's story; I knew that well enough. But I stuck through, and eventually, I was rewarded.

The first half of the book was hell. I really shouldn't have been surprised. When I read Finale (the last book in the Hush Hush series), maybe I should start in the middle. Then I'd probably find myself enjoying the book so much more. Well, back on track! Though the beginning was despairing, Fitzpatrick kept going with the pattern, having the ending to be truly quite interesting.

This book really made me realise how much I disliked Nora's mother. I found that she was overbearing, smothering and the type of mother I would hate to have. She disapproved of pretty much everything when she was barely even in Nora's life too often (from the previous books) because she was too busy doing her job. She was a hypocrite, dating Hank Millar, when her daughter disapproved. Yes, there's the whole 'respect your elders' thing, but  if Mrs Grey could comment on who Nora dated and make judgements on him, then Nora should have the right to comment and judge Hank too. 

Nora's character throughout the book was very irritating. I know I have a strong dislike for her character, but really? She was so self-righteous and it seemed like she constantly wanted to be the hero of the day, discovering her memory, etc. Plus, did she really have to poke around in places? If Fitzpatrick wanted to make up for making Nora a whiny pathetic, needy girl in Crescendo, by trying to make her brave, strong and self-righteous, she failed. All I could see was that Nora was a reckless, stubborn girl, who just wanted to be the hero of the day.

The last half of the book was filled with such good action. It was delicious, and for once in this entire series, I couldn't stop reading. Dabria came back, the Black Hand reared his head, and harsh deals had to be struck. It was all really good reading, and I couldn't pull myself away from the book.

I guess I'd give Silence a 2 stars out of 5. It was just horrible at the beginning, having to reread what had happened over the past books, and the characters.... Just not good. Crescendo was a better book, in terms of characters. The plot in Silence though, is the reason why I rated this book a 2 stars. 

Keep reading and loving books,

Geraldine 

You Might Also Like