Connect with Me!

Hush Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick

Saturday, May 18, 2013 Geraldine 0 Comments

A SACRED OATH
A FALLEN ANGEL
A FORBIDDEN LOVE


Romance was not part of Nora Grey's plan. She's never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how hard her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her. Not until Patch comes along. With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Patch draws Nora to him against her better judgment.

But after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora's not sure whom to trust. Patch seems to be everywhere she is and seems to know more about her than her closest friends. She can't decide whether she should fall into his arms or run and hide. And when she tries to seek some answers, she finds herself near a truth that is way more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel.

For she is right in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those that have fallen - and, when it comes to choosing sides, the wrong choice will cost Nora her life.


I've heard so much about this book series. Well, not really good/bad reviews, just things about it. Like 'Team Patch', etc. Plus, my friends have been bugging me for ages to read this book. The blurb actually turns me off this book; it sounds too much like Twilight. Plus, there's the whole 'new guy in town' thing.

This book, as I predicted with the blurb, was a lot like Twilight. There's the new guy (i.e. Patch), there's the main character who thinks she looks ugly/not that attractive (Nora), when she apparently is. The hot guy falls hard for her, she falls hard for him and they become inseparable. Nora and Patch were about the most shallow characters I'd read about in a long while. They were not fleshed out, and were really one-dimensional. It was a bit unrealistic too. Nora's described as smart, but she's rarely studying. The same went with the other characters. Marcie seemed to only exist, so that Nora could hate on someone. Vee seemed to just be at Nora' beck and call.

Although I did dislike most of the book, the one part I did like was the end. The end was quite shackle-raising, and it made my hairs stand on end. That was the redeeming part of the book. This, though, could not compare to my feelings about the whole mythology that Fitzpatrick has made up surrounding the Nephilim. The Nephilim, in YA books, has become so widely generated, to the point that whenever I read a word that even hints at an angel in the book, I immediately drop the book. It's like a reflex. I'd read too many books about them, and they all were the same. Angels falling to Earth because they committed a sin, like following Lucifer or procreating on Earth. Not interesting. However, Fitzpatrick has followed with this theme with a revamped version. She's added tiny bits and pieces, like how a Nephilim, who are virtually immortal, could die if his/her progeny kill themselves. 

Hush Hush gets a 2.5 stars out of 5 from me. I feel like most of the plot was really overused, and could have been more original. It's on par with Twilight, in terms of the characters. The only thing really good about this book, was how it made me think and how there was a twist on the Nephilim. However, I will be reading the series, to fulfill my OCD need to finish reading a series and to make my friends happy!

Keep reading and loving books,

Geraldine

(On a side note, I don't think my friends would be too happy about my comments on this book...)

You Might Also Like