Connect with Me!

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Words/Topics That Make Me Pick Up/ Buy a Book

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 Geraldine 4 Comments


Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by The Broke and Bookish, and, by golly, when I found out about it, I decided to join in on the fun! Every Tuesday, a new topic comes out for bloggers to post a list about. This week, it's the Top Ten Words/Topics That Make Me Pick Up/ Buy a Book.

As usual, I'll be deviating off the usual path, and instead be including words that make me instantaneously drop a book. There aren't many words/phrases that will make me pick up/ buy a book, and that's because I'm a person who isn't very easily satisfied... I'm fussy, and that's the way I like myself. I'll also be listing phrases, since there are those cliche phrases that I hate that I do need to list. Never fear, though! I'll still have a list with happy phrases! Without further ado, here is the list!
  1. 'mysterious boy/girl in town'-THIS IS ONE OF THE MOST OVERRATED PHRASES TO BE USED. I blame Twilight for this. Whenever a book mentions this in the blurb, I immediately put it down. This reflex is the main reason why I haven't gotten around to reading 'Beautiful Creatures', which means I probably won't be watching the movie anytime soon unless I *shudder* get over my aversion to these types of books.
  2. 'assassin'- This word immediately intrigues me, especially if it's set in an alternate universe or the past. After all, there's always some complication going on. Like, the assassin falls in love with the target, or the assassin has been captured, etc. Some really good examples are Throne of Glass and Poison. I haven't read Poison and it doesn't have the word 'assassin' in it, but it does have a theme where the protagonist needs to murder someone important, and it has that thing where the assassin is/was personally close to the target. Will she kill him? Or will she spare him? That's the intrigue of it, and its appeal to me.
  1. 'academy'- This word reeks of royalty... It's so fancy and I REALLY LIKE IT. I like anything to do with school... I've noticed that in books to do with school, there's always a bunch of drama and excitement, and that kind of stuff! It's like the Hunger Games at times, with all that drama. Like, take Vampire Academy for an example. There's so much rivalry going on in there at times and so much drama, as well as mystery... 
  2. 'fairytale'- I pick up books that mention fairytales, because I have this weird fascination with fairytales. I love rewrites of fairytales, and how creative writers can be with the characters and the surroundings. Although this isn't book-related, Once Upon A Time is a pretty good TV show. All the fairytales meshed together, and there's even Mulan! Nothing can beat Mulan~
  3. 'world is ending'- It's always interesting to read about the next way that the world will be destroyed, and how it will be saved. These kind of books always are action-packed and keep me reading and reading, and hoping for more action.

  4. Anything sea-related- It's kinda funny. I hate going to the beach, primarily because of all the creepy creatures that could pop out at any time, i.e. jellyfish and sharks, but I would immediately pick up any book that mentions humans and any-sea related creature interacting together. Of course, I'd be reluctant to pick up one of these books if they were non-fiction though... The appeal of being able to interact with animals, and even partake in the activities they do at times is quite attractive. 
  5. 'angel' - Another one of my reflex actions. Anytime I see a book with the word 'angel' or 'fallen angel' on it, I immediately drop it. It can only take great persuasion and great trust in a person,  for me to pick up one of these books, the only reason why I read 'Hush Hush'. And now, I'm also forcing myself to read the rest of the books in the series, because I have this weird thing, where I must finish a book or series, no matter how bad it is...                                                                                                
  6. Anything to do with mythology- I actually love mythology, especially Greek and Roman mythology, which is why I love the Goddess Test. I remember buying it... I picked it up off the shelf, read the blurb.... and found out it was a new spin on Greek mythology. I made the spur-of-the-moment decision to buy it, just because of my love for mythology.
  7. 'fulfill his/her destiny'- This is actually a bit of a mix. Sometimes, it works, other times, it just deters me and makes me want to stop reading books with that in its description for the rest of my life. It's not this exact phrase all the time, but it's blurbs that have this theme in it, you know? I guess it really depends on how this theme is represented in the blurb.
  8. 'genius'- I have no idea why, but I love reading books about geniuses. Like, for example, the Mysterious Benedict Society (I think that's what it's called), is really interesting. It's got all these things about how the child geniuses solve problems and save the world. Same goes with Mozart's Sister, which is like a historical fiction, about Nannerl, Mozart's sister, who could also have been considered a prodigy. It's just really interesting!
Are there any themes or words that make you instantaneously pick up a book? Or drop it straight down and bury it in the pile of books to never read? Comment below~

Keep reading and loving books,

Geraldine

You Might Also Like