Connect with Me!

Top Ten Tuesday; Top Ten Books I Thought I'd Like MORE/LESS than I did

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 Geraldine 15 Comments


Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by The Broke and Bookish, and, by golly, when I found out about it, I decided to join in on the fun! Every Tuesday, a new topic comes out for bloggers to post a list about. This week, it's the Top Ten Books I Thought I'd Like MORE/LESS than I did.

There are so many books which I start reading with high expectations and end up bummed out with how horrendous the book truly was. Then there are those books that look so daggy and sound the worse, but in reality, they somehow turn into the best books ever. I have those experiences all the time. Here's just a select list of the books that I've thought I'd like more/less than I actually did.

  1. Hades by Alexandra Adornetto- Well, my first problem: I didn't know that it was the second book in a series. I have this thing where I must start a series with the first book, but that information is for a later day... Another problem I had: the cover was misleading! I thought the book would be great, because the cover looked so polished! But, it's evident that at the time, I hadn't fully learnt the lesson of 'Don't judge a book by its cover'.
  2. City of Bones by Cassandra Clare- I really thought this book was going to be horrible. The blurb really didn't catch my attention and the first page just bamboozled me. What was the Pandemonium? What;s happening? Why are they talking about Valentine's day? But then, it got better, once I started reading about Jocelyn and the demon that broke in. Much more interesting, until I finally got hooked. Especially with the whole family relationships thing.
  3. The Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead- Don't get me wrong, this book was good, but it wasn't great for me. I expected so much more and I thought that the pacing was a bit too irregular at times. I love the series, love the characters, it's just that I expected more out of them.
  4. Stargazer by Claudia Gray- I really thought this book would be nice. Like, I had read the previous book, Evernight, and it was pretty good, but it also wasn't great. I was expecting a nice little interesting read with more mysteries, but instead I got a book that didn't appeal to me. I guess it was the writing style, maybe?
  5. Divergent by Veronica Roth- I was assigned to read this book for Reader's Cup last year (Reader's Cup is like a competition where you get quizzed on the facts of five books; it's extremely fun!), and yes, was kind of interested, but I really didn't anticipate how anticipating and ingenious it would be, until I started reading it. I loved the idea of initiation into factions, and how ruthless it was for Dauntless. 
  6. Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins- This book was such a disappointment towards the end. I was hoping for an epic finale, where everything would resolve itself and I would know exactly what would happen to each and every character. Instead I was left with a brief summary of how Katniss, Peeta and Gale ended up. I felt like the ending was more oriented towards the love-triangle now. I really did want to know what happened to Annie and how she was coping.
  7. Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead-Like City of Bones, I was confused at the start of the book. I'd only picked this book up thanks to a friend of mine who had recommended it. I didn't really get what Rose and Lissa were hiding from and why they had to hide. Only when they got captured and were sent to St Vladimir's did I start to get hooked onto this book.
  8. Crescendo by Becca Fitzpatrick- I have this thing where I must read every single book in a series if I've read a book in the series. I read 'Hush Hush' by request from my friend, and I found it pretty good, though kind of similar to 'Twilight' with the whole mysterious guy thing. Reading 'Crescendo' though, was a bit of a disappointment. I couldn't stand how weak Nora was in this book, how needy she was. And Scott, he really didn't give me a good impression. I can only hope that 'Silence' the next book in the series is so much better.
  9. Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins- I didn't really think this book would be good. I mean, I'd been let down so many times by books that I'd heard were good, but really did suck in the end, so I went in reading this book, thinking it would, at best, be a comforting read. I didn't ever expect for it to be so good~ It actually did change my views on so many things, which is the main reason why I really liked it.
  10. Twilight- Now don't diss me, I actually did enjoy Twilight for a certain while. I remember the Twilight craze and everyone being really into it, but I could never see why. It seemed so boring. When a friend lent me the book to read, I actually found it relatively nice to read. It was engaging, and I really credit Twilight for being the book that introduced me to YA. I don't really like it all that much anymore, having been exposed to better, higher-caliber YA books, but Twilight, to me will forever be memorialized as the book that got me reading YA novels.


 
















You Might Also Like