Connect with Me!

Clockwork Princess: a heartwrenching conclusion to The Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare

Friday, April 12, 2013 Geraldine 0 Comments

Danger and betrayal, secrets and enchantment in the breathtaking conclusion to the Infernal Devices trilogy

Tessa Gray should be happy - aren't all brides happy?
Yet as she prepares for her wedding, a net of shadows begins to tighten around the Shadowhunters of the London Institute.
A new demon appears, one linked by blood and secrecy to Mortmain, the man who plans to use his army of pitiless automatons, the Infernal Devices, to destroy the Shadowhunters. Mortmain needs only one last item to complete his plan. He needs Tessa. And Jem and Will, the boys who lay equal claim to Tessa's heart, will do anything to save her.

A couple of posts back, I put this book on the list of books to read in 2013. A hardcore lover of The Infernal Devices, I have been waiting for ages to get my hands on this book, which came out on March 19th. Then, on the 28th of March, 2013, I finally plucked up the courage to go buy it. You ask why I needed courage? Well, it's the conclusion of The Infernal Devices, for the Angel's sake! It's the end to a marvelous series and the book where everything comes to an end! Now that I'm done with my rant on how beautiful it is, here's the actual review~

Tessa Gray is supposed to be happy. After all, she is getting married to Jem Carstairs, the boy she loves. But how can she be happy when she knows that Jem is dying? How can she be happy when she knows that Will, Jem's closest friend, is also in love with her? And how can she be happy that she is dooming all of her Sahdowhunter friends to death at the hands of Mortmain's automatons? Will Tessa Gray ever find happiness? Clockwork Princess, the stunning finale to the Infernal Devices series reveals it all. 

I was a bit cautious about reading this book; I love the Infernal Devices. The whole drama of it all, Tessa's character, the adventure... I've always preferred it over the Mortal Instruments, the side-along series to the Infernal Devices, which is why I was wary in buying it. What if it wasn't as good as I had hoped? What if everything went wrong and nothing ended up the way I wanted it to? 

Tessa was headstrong, to be sure, but not to the point where she irritated me. A likable character, she still used a bit of common sense, unlike Clary in the Mortal Instruments. Plus, she loved reading books, a trait that I can certainly relate to. Tessa was a relatable, genuine character. Will was his usual snarky self, but he was so much more than that in this book. He was passionate and determined to get whatever he wanted, which showed a different side to his personality. Another side of Jem was seen too, the side of him that was just as much like Will. The Lightwood brothers were also explored more in-depth, and it was clear that they weren't just solid figures there to extend the story, but Clare had made them an intricate part of the plot. There were little moments where Gabriel narrated, and it was great to see how much he had changed. And lastly, Cecily. A late addition to the series, Clare also proved that she had a purpose. Cecily was strong and independent, all values which I personally hoped that she would have, being the sister of Will Herondale and all. 

This book gave way to so many feelings and emotions! There were moments where I just laughed my head off like a crazy maniac, and other times where I just sobbed like a baby. The words the Clare writes flows so naturally. Nothing is too detailed to the point of boredom, but not too simplistic that the reader has no idea what's going on.

And the ending. What a beautiful ending! I loved how everything was balanced out in the end. It was such a great idea too, to set it up in the future. In a true Cassandra Clare style, there's still yet a mystery at the end of the book, one which will (hopefully) be revealed in the City of Heavenly Souls, the last book of the Mortal Instruments. In my opinion, the ending would please both Wessa and Jessa shippers. I know it pleased me, a person who was conflicted because she shipped Tessa with both Will and Jem.

5 stars. All I can say is 5 stars. It was a pleasure reading this book, and I really can't wait for more of Clare's work, especially for those Bane Chronicles coming out soon. People may hate on Cassandra Clare for how she has continuously written about the Shadowhunter universe, but if Clare keeps writing her books in this style, in this way that entrances the human population, she will forever be a successful author. 

Keep reading and loving books,

Geraldine

You Might Also Like