Connect with Me!

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Thursday, March 21, 2013 Geraldine Lee 2 Comments

Diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer at 13, Hazel was prepared to die until, at 14, a medical miracle shrunk the tumours in her lungs... for now. Two years post-miracle, sixteen-year-old Hazel is post-everything else, too; post-high school, post-friends and post-normalcy. And even though she could live for a long time (whatever that means), Hazel lives tethered to an oxygen tank, the tumours tenuously kept at bay with a constant chemical assault.Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at cancer kid support group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly to her, interested in Hazel. Being with Augustus is both an unexpected destination and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind.

I finally picked this book up after having it in my possession for so long. I'd heard rave reviews of John Green's books, but have never bothered to pick one up. I have now, and here is my personal opinion on this story.

This story is the tale of sarcastic Hazel Grace Lancaster, her fight with cancer and her opportunity to see the author of a beloved book, but most importantly, this story is about her relationship with Augustus 'Gus' Waters. Having been diagnosed with Stage 4 thyroid cancer at the age of 14, Hazel is slowly dying, until a miracle drug comes her way. Her life is lengthened, until she meets Augustus Waters. Their story is a story of love, sadness, maturity and hope. 

In truth, I felt like this book was a bit of a disappointment. I think it probably was because I had heard so many good opinions on this story. I expected it to be more, I didn't think it would be that short. I felt like the story was too short; but maybe that's because I enjoyed it so much, I hardly noticed the pages flying by.

I loved Hazel and Augustus's relationship, but I felt like it was unreal, how they became so close. To me, it was unrealistic, how Hazel absolutely trusted Augustus, how she was willing to go over to his place right after she had only spoken a couple words to him. This being said, I really liked how their relationship consisted of books and how it was formed and built through 'An Imperial Affliction'. Being a book lover, I could really understand their enthusiasm for 'An Imperial Affliction'.

This book, though it was mostly about Hazel and Gus, thankfully did not only focus on them. I was really happy that Isaac was in this book. I hate sappy romances, and if Green had only written about Hazel and Gus, and no one else, like the only person that was in Hazel's world was Gus, and vice versa, I would have dropped this book. Isaac was the character that really showed how devastating cancer was, and what Hazel and Gus had to face. He was definitely my favourite character of this book.

I actually thought the book 'An Imperial Affliction' was real... When I finished this book, I went to Google up 'An Imperial Affliction' and discovered that Green had only made up the book and the author, Peter van Houten. Disappointment flooded through me. Hearing so much of this book in The Fault in Our Stars, I actually really wanted to read it and see why Hazel and Gus loved it so much.

Speaking of the end of the book, the end of it was really quite devastating. I had no idea that the story would end like that. In fact, throughout the later part of the novel, my mouth dropped frequently and tears leaked from my eyes. Not very composed for a person reading on the train... Green just manages to manipulate my emotions so easily! 

In the end, I'd rate this book a 4 stars out of 5. I think I rated it like this, mainly because I was expecting more. I'd heard how good it was and I was expecting so much more. Plans are already underway for me to read more John Green novels! 

Oh yes, on a parting note; this book will be turned into a movie!!! Any thoughts about it? Comment below!

Keep reading and loving books,

Geraldine 

(I got a copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review)

You Might Also Like