Connect with Me!

Masquerade: the third book in the Sevy Series by Sarah-Jane Lehoux

Wednesday, March 06, 2013 Geraldine Lee 0 Comments

Well, I've been raving about the Sevy series for quite some time already. I only recently started reading it, and it has sucked me in! The third book, Masquerade has come out, and I'm sure y'all have been looking forward to this review for quite some time now! And, there's another thing; if you wait for a little while later... You may possibly get to read an interview with this series's author, Sarah-Jane Lehoux!

Never Trust a Liar, especially when they're telling the truth.
Starting over isn’t easy, especially when the world isn’t ready for you to change. Sevy, thief turned assassin turned mercenary, isn’t having any fun adjusting to a normal, law-abiding life. Luckily for her, an old partner in crime arrives with an irresistible proposition: a getaway to a tropical island, an adventure of a lifetime, and an amazing friendship ready to blossom into an even more amazing romance.
Things are looking up for Sevy. That is, until a pack of maniacal fairies with a taste for human flesh arrive on the scene. 
Now she must unravel a web of magical intrigue hidden behind the outwardly idyllic atmosphere of the islands of Belakarta. Nothing is as it seems, and no one can be trusted. Trapped under the spell of a handsome and mysterious stranger, Sevy must fight fairies and tricksters to regain her freedom.
Or spend an eternity as a sorcerer’s plaything.


I dived into this book right after reading 'Shades of War', the second book in the Sevy series. It picks off a couple of years after 'Shades of War', where Sevy is still in Devenbourn. Revik proposes a new adventure for them to undertake; to find Y'voura, one of his daughters. Sevy gladly accepts, not fitting in to life at Devenbourn. Together, they undertake a journey that is rattled with problems, until they finally meet each other again at an island. The only problem; Sevy isn't herself anymore.

Masquerade frustrated me, like any good book would. Not to the extent where I want to burn the book because the writing was horrible, but the plot was just so intriguing! What was happening? How would Sevy get out of this situation now? My emotions were all out of order, I was tangled up! One second, I'd like a character in this book, then BOOM the next second, Lehoux would just show me their evil side, the side of them that I ignored.

Kirydan was the perfect villain. He was such a developed character. He seemed so real, having flaws, emotions and strengths. That's why he was not only a villain to Sevy in the books, but he was also a villain to me too. He was so likable in the first few chapters and got me, hook, line and sinker. Lehoux also gives an insight into his troubled background, making me feel sorry for him. Then his dark side began to show and it was so hard to keep thinking of him as a villain, when I was still having sympathy for him. I didn't sympathise with him because he was pitiable; rather because he was a victim of cruel circumstances.

The ending was a shocker. I should have expected it, I truly should have. After all the books in the Sevy series ending the way they do, you would expect that I would have learnt my lesson by now. But apparently not. It's moments like these that really define why I love the Sevy series. It's moments like these where I absolutely admire Lehoux's writing. She is so frank in her writing, and makes it easy for the book to be read, so even if you dislike reading (gasp!) you'll love her work. The twists and turns she embeds into her novels would shock just about anyone!

Overall, this book deserves a 4.5 stars out of 5 from me. I love this series, I love everything about it! The tension, the suspense and the excitement that just comes from reading this book is exhilarating! After reading this book, I can't wait for the next book in this series to come out!

Keep reading and loving books,

Geraldine

Want to find out more about the other books in the Sevy Series? Go to Sarah-Jane Lehoux's webpage here!

You Might Also Like