Connect with Me!

An Interview with Sarah-Jane Lehoux; author of the Sevy series

Friday, March 08, 2013 Geraldine Lee 0 Comments

Well, as promised, here is the interview with Sarah-Jane Lehoux! Expect her answers to the questions to surprise you; I know they surprised me!

  1. How do you write? Is there a set quota of words you have to churn out? Or do you just sit there, doing your thing, until you feel tired? Do you have music playing in the background? Are you frequently distracted?
When I considered writing as just a fun hobby (ie before I had Thief published), I just wrote when I felt like it, for as long or as little as I wanted to. But I’ve since come to the realization that I want my writing to be more than a hobby; I want my writing to be a career. And that means work! So nowadays, even if I don’t feel like it, I write.
When I’m working on a project, I write five days a week, with a minimum word count of 1,000 words. I find that I need this level of discipline to keep going even when I hit one of those moods where I think everything I write is crap.
I always listen to music while I’m writing. I use music to help set the tone of the scene I’m working on, as well as to help block out distractions from the outside world. I am VERY distractible, so I have to be quite strict with myself on those days where I just want to procrastinate.
   2. What gave you the inspiration for Sevy’s strong, and sometimes downright stubborn character?
When I first created Sevy, I wanted her to be the opposite of the female characters of traditional fantasy books. So instead of being drop dead gorgeous, she’s so-so in looks. Instead of being the sort of girl men would die for, I made her grumpy and…well, a bitch. Instead of needing to be rescued, I made her the rescuer. And she grew from there.
I also made it a point to keep her mental state in mind while writing her. Sevy has a traumatic past, and the last thing I wanted to do was diminish the effect that would have on her. Too many books ignore the psychological impact of their plots on their characters. I did a lot of research into Post Traumatic Stress Disorder to help me get inside Sevy’s head.

 3. Have you made a map of the country that the books are set in? And if so, is it or will it be made available for us (the public) to view
Yes, my dear childhood friend, Krista CarrĂ©, designed a map of Axlun for me. It is included in the first few pages of Shades of War and Masquerade, and it is also available on my website. Someday, I would love to expand the map to include the neighbouring kingdoms of Vasurach and Belakarta.  

4. Was there any real purpose for you to kill off the characters in the Sevy series like you did? Or was it merely to torture readers?
LMAO! Well, I must admit I do love to torture my characters (and my readers) with the trials and tribulations of the series, but really, everyone I kill, I kill for a reason. Even if it is a senseless death, it still means something because of the impact it has on surviving characters. To me, plot is secondary to character development.
SPOILERS BELOW:
For example, I knew before I even began writing Thief, that Jarro would die. It was crucial to Sevy’s journey to have that support disappear from her life. Of course, as I got deeper and deeper into the story, I developed a liking for the poor fellow, which made writing his death scene(s) very hard.

5.  Do you have any intention of having Jarro come back to life?
Sadly, one resurrection is all Jarro is allowed to have. However, that doesn't mean he won’t still show up in future books in one form or another.

6. Which do you prefer: e-books or hardcopies? Why?
For reading, I prefer hard copies. I’m have some medical problems with my right eye, and reading on a computer screen can be really hard on me and give me wicked migraines.
That being said, as an author, I love e-books. They allow me to give copies away for reviews or contests without spending a fortune on shipping. For a poor starving author like me, they are a godsend.

Haha! Well, that brings to the end of the interview. It's been great interviewing you and reviewing your amazing books!

Thank you very much for interviewing me!

Keep reading and loving books,

Geraldine

Want to know more about Sarah and her books? Click here!

You Might Also Like