Connect with Me!

The Demon Lover; the first of the Fairwick Chronicles written by Juliet Dark

Monday, January 14, 2013 Geraldine Lee 0 Comments

I picked up the Demon Lover, written by Carol Goodman under the pseudonym of Juliet Dark, interested in a town full of magical beings, being a lover of paranormal beings. The introduction shied me away from reading the book, but in the end my love for the paranormal and the fantastic cover pushed me into reading it.

'I gasped, or tried to. My mouth opened, but I couldn’t draw breath. His lips, pearly wet, parted and he blew into my mouth. My lungs expanded beneath his weight. When I exhaled he sucked my breath in and his weight turned from cold marble into warm living flesh.
Since accepting a teaching position at remote Fairwick College in upstate New York, Callie McFay has experienced the same disturbingly erotic dream every night: A mist enters her bedroom, then takes the shape of a virile, seductive stranger who proceeds to ravish her in the most toe-curling, wholly satisfying ways possible. Perhaps these dreams are the result of her having written the bestselling book The Sex Lives of Demon Lovers. Callie’s lifelong passion is the intersection of lurid fairy tales and Gothic literature—which is why she’s found herself at Fairwick’s renowned folklore department, living in a once-stately Victorian house that, at first sight, seemed to call her name.
 But Callie soon realizes that her dreams are alarmingly real. She has a demon lover—an incubus—and he will seduce her, pleasure her, and eventually suck the very life from her. Then Callie makes another startling discovery: Her incubus is not the only mythical creature in Fairwick. As the tenured witches of the college and the resident fairies in the surrounding woods prepare to cast out the demon, Callie must accomplish something infinitely more difficult—banishing this supernatural lover from her heart.'


This book took a while to get into. I wasn't all too interested in reading about the circumstances in which Callie moved to Fairwick. I only really started tuning into the book after reading all of Callie's self-affirmations that her realtionship with Paul was good and once she found out that Fairwick was a magical community.Then, in the middle part of the book, I felt like there was no plot, mainly because the incubus had been banished already. It dwindled on down to having to read about Callie's complicated life, what with her students having trouble to her own problems with Paul. The end was a bit better, with a few surprises in store for me.

Phoenix was a character in the story, yet hardly ever mentioned after she left Fairwick. It was like she was a character written about only for a specific purpose, and once she had completed that purpose, she was not mentioned ever again, except in passing. I found this irritating, as I had grown attached to Phoenix and wanted to find out more about what happened to her.
The ending was definitely not what I expected it to be. I only found out who the true villian was in the end and things never came to a close... I thought this book would tie off really nicely, and a new adventure would begin in 'The Water Witch' (the second book of the Fairwick Chronicles), but it was not so... Although there were some unexpected parts of this novel, there were also bits that were blindingly obvious.

There were some parts of the novel that I felt were meant to be a mystery, but really weren't. For example, I had an inkling that Liam was not who he said he was, long before he was outed. Plus, the way he was outed... The author, Dark, dropped such large hints that were really obvious only when she wanted to out Liam for who he really was soon. I felt that Dark could have instead dropped subtle
hints throughout the time Callie had known Liam to create a better effect.

This story is most definitely an adult book. When reading the introduction, I most definitely did read the part about Callie having graphic dreams, but I ignored it, because I believed that these dreams would not be described in any graphic detail. What a mistake. The book is littered with descriptions of Callie's sex life, which really annoyed me, as I felt it was unnecessary.

Callie, quite often felt like a whiny, petulant, ignorant child that only complained about her troubles, and gave little thought to others. When she did think of others, I felt like it was too unbelievable, because I had read so much of her complaints already. I guess the only way for me to describe her is to call her two-dimensional. However, I did like a few characters, such as Soheila and Phoenix. Soheila was the one character that felt truly mysterious, while Phoenix was the most realistic character in the book, with the mistakes that she had made.

I'd rate this book 3 stars out of 5 stars. It was OK overall, really, good at most parts, but boring, too graphic or stereotypical in others. This being said, it's also not a book I would read a second time. I would, however, read the sequel, as I'm interested to know how Callie's life in Fairwick further plays out.

Keep reading and loving books,

Geraldine

(This book has been provided to me by Netgalley in return for an honest review)

You Might Also Like